2013 Tony Hillerman Writers Conference
Sign up today - the $425.00 full registration, One-day, and Pre-Conference Workshop rates are good until September 22, 2013
We're pleased to announce the conference headquarters will be at the Hilton Santa Fe Historic Plaza, at 100 Sandoval Street, in Santa Fe, N.M.
The Hilton is an ideal location - just two blocks from the historic Santa Fe Plaza. This Spanish Colonial-style hotel combines comfort with old-world charm. Guest rooms are designed in Southwestern motif capturing our brilliant New Mexico colors. Discover downtown Santa Fe's shops, restaurants, and museum with ease from this AAA Four Diamond hotel.
To reserve a room at the Hilton Santa Fe Historic Plaza call toll free 1-800-HILTONS (445-8667), (505) 988-2811 Ask for the WORDHARVEST/Tony Hillerman Writers Conference room rate. Or book Online
Rates for November 7 - 9, 2013 for conference attendees $119.00 - single or double occupancy, before taxes. Rate for the room block is good until October 8, 2013.
Price includes internet access and use of the hotel's fitness center, seasonal outdoor pool, and year round hot tub with kiva fireplace.
Parking: The Hilton will charge $5.00 per vehicle/per day with in/out privileges.
The Conference Schedule:
Our workshops are open to and will be useful for writers of all genres! Schedule subject to change.
- Thursday, November 7
- 9:00 am - 11:45 am - Pre-Conference Workshop - "Character Development" - Margaret Coel
- 11:45 am - 1:15 pm Lunch on Your Own
- 1:30 pm - 4:00 pm - Pre-Conference Workshop - "Great Openings and Endings" - James McGrath Morris
- Friday, November 8 - The Craft of Writing
- 7:30 am - 9:00 am - New Book and Author Breakfast
Moderator/Emcee - Linda Jacobs.
- 9:30 am - 10:30 am - "Writing Great Dialog" - Craig Johnson
- 11:00 am - 12:00 pm - "Perfect Plotting" - Margaret Coel
- 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm - Lunch with best-selling thriller author David Morrell
- 1:30 pm - 3:00 pm - Panel Presentation: "A Sense of Place" - Lesley Poling-Kempes (moderator), Anne Hillerman, Margaret Cole, Deanne Stillman
- 3:30 pm - 5:00 pm - "How to Tell a Story: It's Not As Easy As You Think" - Kirk Ellis
- 5:00 pm - 6:00 pm - Book signing with the day's presenters + cash bar
- 7:-0 pm - 9:00 pm - "Writing with the Stars" - First page critiques with David Morrell and agent Liz Trupin-Pulli
- Saturday, November 9 - The Business of Writing
- Breakfast on Your Own
- 9:00 am - 10:00 am - Eat Your Veggies and Do Social Media: Necessities for Authors in the Digital Age - Ashley Biggers
- 10:30 am - 11:30 am - Panel Presentation: "The Always Changing World of Publishing" - Peter Joseph, St. Martin's Press; Clark Whitehorn, University of New Mexico Press, and others TBA
- 12:00 pm - 1:30 pm - Hillerman Prize Luncheon
Announcement of the 2013 Tony Hillerman Prize for Best First Mystery with St. Martin's Press editor Peter Joseph.
- Presentation - "Finding the Lost" Author Christine Barber, inaugural Hillerman Prize winner
- 2:00 pm - 3:30 pm - "Will My Work Ever Be Published?" - Dawn Wink (moderator), James McGrath Morris,
Liz Trupin-Pulli, others TBA
- 4:00 pm - 5:00 pm - "Managing Your Manuscript" - Steve Havill
- 6:00 pm - 7:00 pm - Book signing with the day's presenters + cash bar
- 7:00 pm - Dinner. Keynote talk by Author Craig Johnson